A Guest Post by Julia Goodhouse. Re-printed from original post dated January 15, 2013.
When traveling to other countries it always surprises me how different the breakfast are from our standard American fare: grilled vegetables, baked beans, stir fry and soups are common breakfast foods. Why not try something different in the New Year?
Vegetable Lentil Soup
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed (~1/3 of a 1 lb bag)
- 1 cup chopped celery (~2 stalks, ¼ of a bunch)
- 1 cup chopped carrots (~2, ¼ of a 1 lb. bag)
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped (~1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste (~1/2 a 6 oz can)
- 1 – 32 oz container of chicken stock
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon each of dried basil and dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- pepper to taste
- 1 – 6 oz bag shredded parmesan cheese (1 ½ cups)
- 12 Poached Eggs
1. Put everything but the vinegar, parmesan cheese and eggs in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Before serving, splash in 1 to 2 tablespoon of vinegar and sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese.
2. Place water in a shallow pan and bring water almost to a boil. One at a time, crack an egg into a small bowl then gently pour into water.
3. After 4 minutes when the whites are cooked, remove eggs with a slotted spoon.
4. Serve warm soup with poached egg on top!