This post is my second honoring the 54 children and their parents who participated as winners in the Healthy Kids Lunchtime Challenge. This is a great breakfast or lunch recipe, or even dinner if you like eggs for dinner! Caroline Coward from Rhode Island is the winning Junior Chef, and she is joined in her adventures in healthy cooking by her mom Jen (Jen has a fun food blog called www.thewholebagofchips.com if you’d like to check it out). Caroline was inspired to create this dish given that she prefers egg whites instead of regular eggs, and she likes broccoli quite a bit. This meal is healthy as well as tasty.
See how happy this dish makes Caroline?
Caroline has become quite the celebrity; watch her making her dish in either of these two following links:
Here is Caroline’s recipe. Enjoy!
Broccoli & Cheese Egg White Omelet
3 large egg whites, separated (You can save your yolks for use in a future recipe but you will not need them for this one.)
1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
3/4 cup broccoli, cooked and chopped (You may use either fresh steamed or frozen broccoli florets.)
Note: When choosing our ingredients we tried to use healthier alternatives: Mozzarella Cheese has less fat than American Cheese, wheat toast is better for you than white toast, and we added a side of mixed fruits and orange juice in order to tie in all of the food groups.
1) Separate eggs, place your whites into a small bowl.
2) Preheat non-stick frying pan, lightly coated with cooking spray, over medium heat.
3) Pour egg whites into frying pan.
4) When whites are semi-solid, place cooked, chopped broccoli onto one half of the pan of whites, leaving the other side of the omelet empty.
5) Sprinkle shredded Mozzarella Cheese over broccoli.
6) Place entire frying pan under the broiler for about five minutes or until cheese is melted and egg whites are solid. Edges of the omelet will be lightly browned.
7) Remove pan from broiler and place the omelet on a serving plate, folding the omelet in half so that the empty side now covers the side with broccoli and cheese.
8) Serve with a side of wheat toast, mixed fruit and orange juice.